Preventing Dehydration: Sports Drinks or Water
- Be able to describe the negative effects of dehydration on the physiology of the body.
- Be able to list the symptoms of dehydration.
- Be able to explain why consuming well-formulated sports drinks is usually better than drinking plain water for preventing dehydration.
- Be able to explain why carbonated drinks and drinks with high concentrations of carbohydrate are not optimal rehydrating beverages.
- Be able to explain why sodium is a critical electrolyte in sports drinks.
- Be able to explain the necessity for carbohydrate as a component of sports drinks